This week's lucky organization is:
The International Justice Mission
Background: I first heard about this organization on a Dateline NBC program titled, "Children for Sale". In the last four years IJM has been able to accomplish:
* More than 2,000 children, women and men have been freed from slavery.
* More than 800 women and children have been freed from forced prostitution.
* More than 300 individuals have been arrested for trafficking-related offenses.
* Hundreds of widows and orphans have had stolen property returned to them.
* Thousands have received their entitled documentation of citizenship or elevated legal status.
International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local governments to ensure victim rescue, to prosecute perpetrators and to strengthen the community and civic factors that promote functioning public justice systems.
IJM's justice professionals work in their communities in 12 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America to secure tangible and sustainable protection of national laws through local court systems.
You can do this one of two ways.
1. Go directly to the organization website and donate there. Forward me your confirmation email detailing the amount.
2. Pay for the subscription as usual, through paypal or google checkout, and I will pass all of the money to the organization.
IJM sends out "newsletters" aka spam, about once a month or so. If you would prefer not to receive these, I'm already on their spam list so you can donate via paypal to me and I'll forward the money on for you.